- Project 4 (print and trim to final designs, presentation with rationale, journals, self eval form)
- Project 5: 5 fully sketched concepts
For Today: Project 4 presentations, Brainstorming sessions, Sprinting sessions
- Typographic Topics: typefaces, type designers, type foundries, typographic elements (dashes, glyphs, quotations, etc.), type styles/genres, type history, type facts, type rules, type personalities, legibility/readability, typographic vocabulary terms, typeface anatomy, ligatures, rags, widow/orphans, type families, etc.
- Explain 5 concepts (must relate in some way to typography).
- Discuss which 1-2 concepts seem the strongest.
- Brainstorm ideas for the strongest direction. Write down all ideas received by group.
- Sprinting: “Sprinting is a technique for breaking out of your own habits by forcing yourself to come with a new visual solution in a fixed time frame and then moving on quickly to try something else. Springing generates visual directions in short spurts of time. When the time investment is short, designers often feel more comfortable taking risks and trying alternate approaches. Each concept becomes less precious and easier to explore, and the discard.”—Ellen Lupton, Graphic Design Thinking
Due Next Class: 4 card mockups, printed + trimmed, Critique #1
Project 5 Timeline
Thursday, April 23: Critique #1, 4 card mockups
Tuesday, April 28: Critique #2, 4 revised mockups + packaging mockups
Thursday, April 30: Studio/ Individual Consultations
Tuesday, May 5: Due: Project #5 (bring snacks), presentation with rational, final bound process book. Morning class 9am–10am. Evening class 6pm–7pm.
Thursday, May 7 @5pm: Compliation cd of final work. Make PDFs and label files. Write name and class of cd. Put in my mailbox by Thursday @5pm.